Meeting Minutes of February 11, 2016
Approved on 3/22/16
I. Welcome and Introductions
Present: Connie Sundberg, Sydney Fisher Larson, Jessica Callahan, Ovieda Elliott
Staff: Mary Ann Hansen, Andrea Sousa
Consultant: Nancy Howatt
Absent: Susan Buckley, Mark Lovelace, Veronica Meggerson, Cameron Mull, Dian Pecora
Sydney Fisher Larson called the meeting to order at 8:30 am
II. Public Comments and Announcements
Ovieda Elliott thanked Mary Ann for developing a Blog and sharing information electronically, thus saving the cost of printing the materials and mailing them in the Commission packets.
III. Executive Director Report
- The First 5 Association 2016 Policy Agenda was shared, which talks about prioritizing young children in all policies. Examples of support were shared in regards to Family Strengthening, Early Identification and Intervention, Oral Health, Quality Early Learning, and System Sustainability and Reach.
- Mary Ann participated in the First 5 Association and First 5 California meetings the end of January. Moira Kenney, Executive Director of the First 5 Association, presented the First 5 Indicators and Annual Data Project. The project is an effort to increase coordination of data collection in order to more effectively tell the First 5 statewide story. The project will include an annual report redux and the creation of statewide indicators including four key areas of data, which are population level indicators, systems level indicators, services data, and demographic data.
- The State Commission currently is focusing on QRIS and on home visiting. First 5 California is working with Children Now to track home visiting as a prevention model. Several presentations on the National and State home visiting delivery systems were made during the First 5 California meeting. The QRIS (Quality Rating Improvement System) efforts started with Race To The Top, and QRIS was a big discussion item during the First 5 Association meeting. Many small counties, which are at a starting point on QRIS, have a different experience moving the discussion forward within their communities without Race To The Top.
- Help Me Grow is also a hot topic, with the First 5 Association taking the lead. Help Me Grow is a system that connects at-risk children with the services they need. Locally, Mary Ann has met with Commissioners Elliott, Buckley, Pecora and Sundberg to discuss Help Me Grow, and how it could be implemented in Humboldt County. A conference call is being set up with Help Me Grow California.
- Mary Ann met with Theressa Green from United Indian Health Services to discuss their new home visiting program model Family Spirit.
- The Governor’s summary mentioned the decline of Prop.10 funds.
- April 5th is set aside for the Capitol Advocacy Day. A flyer from the First 5 Association was routed. They are taking the lead this year in setting up regional meetings with the State Representatives.
- A flyer about the upcoming Funding the Next Generation statewide conference was routed. The conference will be held in San Francisco on May 9th. The theme is: “The Promise of Local Dedicated Funds for California’s Children: Progress, Potential, Politics and Policy.” As an example, Sacramento has a measure on its ballot this spring that would tax medical marijuana dispensaries to provide a dedicated funding stream for children, youth, and families. Mary Ann shared that Senator Maguire is working on an initiative to place a 15% tax on marijuana and no children services are mentioned in his initiative.
- The First 5 Humboldt Facebook page is transitioning from a person to an organization, so please hit “Like” in order to get updates.
- The Board of Supervisors has appointed a new Commission representative from Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS). Sheryl Lyons has stepped down as a DHHS representative on our Commission and Veronica (Nica) Meggerson will take her place. Mary Ann has an orientation meeting scheduled with Nica on February 22nd.
- We have a new subcommittee member on the Evaluation Action Team, Jessica Montague. Mary Ann is also considering bringing a representative from the LatinoNet on the Parent & Family Support Subcommittee. The subcommittee list will be updated and presented at the March Commission meeting.
IV. Approval of Minutes: Commission Meeting Minutes of January 14, 2016
This Agenda item was deferred to the next meeting.
V. Consent Calendar:
A. December 2015 Postings
This Agenda item was deferred to the next meeting.
VI. Information Item: Subcommittee Reports
- Early Childhood Care & Education (ECE) Subcommittee:
The ECCE Subcommittee met on Monday to review some Helping Hands Humboldt proposals. Subcommittee members had a discussion about the many ways the ECE field has changed. The Subcommittee is planning to do a presentation at a future Commission meeting, since child care has been a requested Agenda item from some Commissioners.
- Evaluation Action Team (EAT):
The Evaluation Action Team met to review the Program Evaluation Team process and to review evaluation documents for funded programs.
- Fiscal Subcommittee:
The Fiscal Subcommittee met last week to review the IMPACT budget and to discuss the long term financial plan.
- Parent & Family Support (PFS) Subcommittee:
The Subcommittee received an update from Consultant Christina Huff on the Standards work with Family Resource Centers. The Subcommittee discussed forming a short-term “Playgroup Workgroup” to look and policies and guidelines. Subcommittee members also talked about the Program Evaluation Team process and doing site visits to funded programs.
VII. Information Item: IMPACT Grant
We expected to get notified about our grant proposal, but have not heard anything yet from First 5 California. We submitted our first fiscal report to First 5 California. Part of the IMPACT grant will be the DRDP training, which is expensive ($7,500), and it will be a challenge to send someone to the Training of trainers, a 5-day training. Commissioner Elliott said that she was trained as a trainer and to check in with Humboldt County Office of Education for possible trainers.
VIII. Discussion Item: Strategic Plan
Mary Ann mentioned that she would like to form a workgroup and routed the tentative Strategic Planning Calendar. It is anticipated to have the updated Strategic Plan in place by the end of 2016. Commissioners Fisher Larson, Elliott, Sundberg, and Callahan expressed an interest in joining the workgroup. The suggestion was made to review Strategic Plans from other First 5 counties to help with the Strategic Plan process.
This Discussion Item will be continued at the next meeting.
IX. Discussion Item: Fiscal Management Guide
The Conflict of Interest section of the First 5 Association Fiscal Management Guide and the Commission’s Conflict of Interest Policy were shared. Mary Ann suggested reviewing both documents before the next Commission meeting. She suggested that an update is needed to the Commission’s Conflict of Interest Policy. The current Policy does not include Subcommittee members, which should step aside during decision-making processes. In addition, Commissioners should make an announcement during regular Commission meetings when they represent their agency/entity, and recuse themselves if an indirect conflict or and appearance of conflict of interest is perceived to exist. Financial proposals from other agencies/entities should not be brought forward by Commission members, but other representatives from the agencies/entities. Mary Ann reminded Commissioners that Prop.10 funds are public funds and the more transparent we are in terms of conflict of interest and the Commission’s decision-making process, the easier it is to explain our funding decisions and the more confidence the community will have in the organization. Commissioners shared stories of uneasiness with decisions and potential conflicts in the past.
This Agenda Item will be discussed more in detail at the next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 am.
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
5 – 7 pm
Office of First 5 Humboldt
Chair: Susan Buckley
Minutes compiled by: Andrea Sousa, Executive Secretary, First 5 Humboldt, 1012 - 2nd Street, Eureka, 95501
Future Agenda Items:
- Selection of Commission Officers
- Annual Evaluation Report
- Approval of revised Subcommittee Membership
- Strategic Plan
- Family Child Care and Educational Standards
- Humboldt County Birth Data
Thursday, April 14, 2016 from 8:30 – 11 am
Thursday, May 12, 2016 from 8:30 – 11 am
Tuesday, June 21, 2016 from 5-7 pm
Commission Retreat: Thursday, July 7, 2016 – all day
Thursday, Aug. 11, 2016 from 8:30 – 10:30 am
Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2016 from 5-7 pm
Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016 from 5-7 pm
Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016 from 8:30 – 10:30 am
Thursday, Dec. 8, 2016 from 8:30 – 10:30 am