Meeting Minutes of April 17, 2014
(Approved on 5/21/14)
I. Welcome and Introductions
Present: Susan Buckley, Jessica Callahan, Sydney Fisher Larson, Rex Bohn, Sheryl Lyons, Dian Pecora
Staff: Wendy Rowan, Andrea Sousa
Consultants: Kim Puckett, Nancy Howatt
Guests: JoAnn Bauer, Jeanine Lancaster
Absent: Ovieda Elliott, Rebecca Lowry, Ronnie Swartz
Sheryl Lyons called the meeting to order at 8 am.
II. Public Comments and Announcements
Commissioners announced that May is Mental Health month. The 0-8 Mental Health Collaborative is offering a mental health training for infant & children on May 22nd.
III. Executive Director Report
- Wendy announced that she and Andrea are both gone during the month of May. Both have family matters to attend to. Both Bob Thompson and Jennifer Gonzales will be taking care of things at the office during Wendy’s and Andrea’s absence.
- Wendy and Kim Puckett attended the Maternal Child & Adolescent Health (MCAH) 5-year Needs Assessment Forum on March 20th. With the information received, Wendy suggests inviting MCAH staff to a future Commission meeting to address concerns and to explore how to move forward.
- Wendy thanked current Commissioners and former Commissioners who participated in site visits of First 5 funded programs. The information gained from the site visits is very helpful for the Program Evaluation Team Review process.
- The Spring Parent & Family Support workshop on April 11th was well attended. We had 40 people participating. Wendy extended her appreciation to Meg Walkley and Beth Heavilin for all their planning and preparations for the workshop.
- The Early Childhood Care & Education Subcommittee continues to review monthly Helping Hands Humboldt small grant applications from early childhood educators.
- First 5 Humboldt Facebook members were advised of the newly adopted Social Media Policy.
- Wendy thanked Commissioners Buckley, Lovelace, Lowry and Fisher Larson for attending the Visioning Retreat on March 23rd to consider the potential of the proposed Pacific North West Child Trauma Institute.
- Wendy also thanked Nancy Howatt for the fiscal training provided to new Commissioners on March 28th.
- Commissioners received the newly released Cultural Proficiency Action Plan.
- The red folder was routed, which included an invitation to Marianne Pennekamp’s 90th birthday celebration, a Thank You card from an HSU class, and a Press Release for Autism Awareness Month.
IV. Approval of Minutes: Commission Meeting Minutes of March 19, 2014
ACTION: The Meeting Minutes of 3/19/14 were approved as written.
V. Consent Calendar:
A. February 2014 Postings
B. CLIF Award: Eureka Pediatrics, Medela Symphony Breast Pump
ACTION: Both consent calendar items were approved as presented.
Commissioner Buckley requested more information about the CLIF Award and suggested the following: 1. To coordinate with WIC and Nurse Family Partnership to support breastfeeding mothers; 2. To find out the capacity for after-hours support. Wendy will address the suggestions in the Award Letter to Eureka Pediatrics.
VI. Information Item: Commission Budget for Fiscal Year 2014/2015
Commissioners received the draft budget for Fiscal Year 2014/15 for review. The draft budget is aligned with the Program Evaluation Team (PET) recommendation. Commissioners reviewed the total estimated revenue, which includes estimated prior year unspent funds, prior year Prop.10 revenue, prior year committed funds, interest earned, and transfer from the Sustainability Fund.
Commissioners also reviewed amounts for FY 14/15 Expenditures, 3-year Agreements, In-House Initiatives, 1-year Agreements, Small Grants, Safety Net, and Program Support Outside.
For the FY 14/15 budget, it is recommended increasing the Evaluation budget by $10,000 to allow additional evaluation support. A bid process will be established and the final Evaluation budget amount will be adjusted after a consultant has been selected. The proposed increases, disallocations, and decreases were reviewed for the 3-year Agreements, the In-House Initiatives, 1-year Agreements, Small Grants, Safety Net, and Program Support Outside.
The Expenditure over Revenue was received and the following considerations were proposed: 1. Potential HCOE partnership increase; 2. Potential of hiring a consultant for FRC work; 3. Final Evaluation costs per bid process; 4. Potential ECE Program Support Outside increase; 5. Potential funds for the Pregnant & Parenting Teen work; 6. Potential of reducing the transfer from the Sustainability Fund.
The draft budget includes funds set aside for the Playgroup Initiative, an increase to the PFS Training & Support budget line item, an increase in the CLIF budget line item, a decrease in the Safety Net budget line item, and a decrease in the Program Support Outside budget line item.
The Commission Budget for Fiscal Year 2014/2015 will be an Action Item at the next meeting.
VII. Discussion Item: Annual Program Evaluation Team Recommendations for Fiscal Year 2014/2105
Per the Commission’s “Evaluation Policy for the Continuation of Existing Programs,” the Program Evaluation Team (PET) recommendations for Fiscal Year 2014/2015 were reviewed.
PET Recommendations were reviewed by the following programs: Early Childhood Care & Education (ECCE) Programs, Health & Well-Being Programs, and Parent & Family Support (PFS) Programs.
Under the ECCE Programs, the PET recommendations for the Community Transition Teams, Hoopa School Readiness, KEET Ready To Learn, and the Library Partnership were reviewed. The recommendation was made to disallocate funding for the Community Transition Teams, and to continue support for the Hoopa School Readiness Program, KEET Ready To Learn, and the Library Partnership at the current funding levels.
Under the Health & Well-Being Programs, the PET recommendations for the Children’s Dental Strategic Plan, Healthy Kids Humboldt, Nurse Family Partnership, Paso a Paso, SART, and the TOOTH Program were reviewed. The recommendation was made to disallocate funding for SART, and to continue support for the Children’s Dental Strategic Plan, the Health Outreach Worker, Nurse Family Partnership, Paso a Paso, and the TOOTH Program at the current funding levels. The recommendation was made to disallocate funding for the insurance premiums for CalKids. A suggestion was made to possibly reserve funds for the CalKids insurance premiums in the CLIF Funds.
Under the Parent & Family Support Programs, the PET recommendations for the Arcata Play Center, Blue Lake Family Resource Center (FRC), Bridgeville Playgroup, Discovery Museum, Fortuna Playgroup, FUN Play Center, Manila FRC, McKinleyville FRC, McKinleyville Playgroup, MOPS, Multiple Assistance Center, Orleans Playgroup, Rio Dell Playgroup, Southern Humboldt FRC, and the Switchboard were reviewed.
The recommendation was made to disallocate the Bridgeville Playgroup, move funding for the MAC under Safety Net, reserve funds for the Manila FRC as a placeholder, and integrate funding for the Women & Children’s Fund within the Switchboard budget. The PET recommendations for all other PFS Programs reviewed are to continue to be supported at the current funding levels.
Commissioners discussed the 3-year and 1-year agreement categories for funded programs, the intend of CLIF funds and the intent of Safety Net Funds.
The following programs are recommended for in-depth review in Fiscal Year 2014/2015: Health Outreach Worker, and MOPS. Commissioners discussed the process and work/accomplishments of the programs that were selected for in-depth review this Fiscal Year.
The following PFS Programs will be reviewed at the May meeting: Tiny Tots Playgroup, Trinidad Playgroup, Willow Creek FRC, and the HCOE Partnership.
The Annual PET Recommendations for Fiscal Year 2014/2015 will be an Action Item at the May meeting.
VIII. Discussion Item: Commission Subcommittee Membership
Due to time constraints, this Agenda Item was deferred to the next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:20 am.
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
5 – 7:30 pm
Humboldt Area Foundation, Emmerson Room
363 Indianola Road, Bayside
Minutes compiled by: Andrea Sousa, Executive Secretary, First 5 Humboldt, 1012 - 2nd Street, Eureka, 95501
Wednesday, June 18, 2014; 5 – 7 pm, location TBD
Commission Retreat, July 2014; Day/time/location TBD
Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014; 5 – 7 pm, location TBD
Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014; 8 – 10 am, First 5 Humboldt Office
Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014; 5-6:30 pm, location TBD
Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2014; 5 – 7 pm, location TBD
Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014; 8 – 10 am, location TBD